How to Immediately Become a More Efficient Planner


Have you ever started a project only to find out later that you would not be able to finish it?  That can be so aggravating.  One time, I was watching TV and saw a commercial advertising some delicious looking dessert.  I decided that I would bake a cake.  I excitedly hopped up, pulled out my mixer, grabbed my bowl, measuring spoon, eggs, and cake mix.  I added my cake mix and eggs to the bowl and then realized that I did not have any oil.  Talk about disappointed!  Had I been a more efficient planner, I would have known what I had and did not have to bake my tasty cake.  

Now, my cake example is a very simple and was easy to fix, but how often does this happen to us on larger more significant projects?  Do you find yourself jumping right into things and having to come to an abrupt stop?  

The Bible speaks to us about this very thing: “But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it?  Otherwise, you might complete only the foundation before running out of money, and then everyone would laugh at you.  They would say, ‘There’s the person who started that building and couldn’t afford to finish it!’ Luke 14:28-30 NLT

Luke was urging you and I to take time to plan efficiently before beginning anything.  Just the other day, we talked about writing a clear plan.  Now that you have begun that clear plan, don't jump in and get started until you have realistically counted the cost.  Sometimes, our excitement can cause us to quickly jump in, head first, but we are advised to do some efficient planning.

If you are ready to count the cost and immediately become a more efficient planner, then there are a few things you can do:

1. Don't start 'building' until your plan is clearly written out. 
2. Make sure your clear plan includes the steps to start and finish the project. 
3. Be sure you have the resources you need (money, people, time, energy, skill/expertise).
4. Consider ways to continually bring in additional resources throughout the project.
5. Set a timeline that you will stick to.
6. Talk with someone who has done something similar and determine possible roadblocks.
7. Be willing to modify your plan as you consistently count the cost.

You are well on your way to becoming the efficient planner that you desire to be, and it is only a matter of time before that project is completed!  Hang in there.  Let Him heal your soul!


Prayer:  Heavenly Father, I want to become a more efficient planner because I have goals to accomplish.  Teach me to count the costs daily, so that I won't be disappointed by my efforts.  Release the spirit of perseverance to rest upon me now. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
 _______________________________________

RELATED POSTS: The Secret to Writing a Plan and Making it Clear  || How Much Longer?

Comments