The Year of the Lord's Favor


It was a typical Sunday morning at church.  The sanctuary was packed with people anxiously awaiting our Pastor to deliver the Word of God.  As I settled into my seat and greeted those near me, my eyes landed on a woman seated in front of me.  She was discreetly wiping her eyes as the tears fell.  I instantly felt compassion for her and wondered what was causing her pain.  What was it that was holding her captive?

There was a tug on my heart because I have been there.  I was her.  At times, I am still her.  You may be her too.  I said a silent prayer, Lord, give her peace and set her free from whatever is troubling her.

Has anything ever held you captive?  Have you been oppressed by the cares of this world and longed to be set free?  Perhaps, some situation has had you 'blinded'.  At some point or another, we have all been burdened by our troubles.  Whether you have a broken heart, financial woes, or strained relationships with people, life can leave you feeling imprisoned.  You may not be in a physical prison, but a spiritual 'prison' is not much better. 

Isaiah 61:1-2 (NIV) says The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.  He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn. 

Isaiah was telling the people that they would not be bound any longer.  The same is true for you and I today.  Isaiah proclaimed that the time of the Lord's favor had come (vs. 2).   I truly believe that we are in the year of the Lord's favor right now!  That means it is time for you to be released from whatever has held you captive!  If you have been blinded by your situation then it's time you see clearly.  Whatever has been oppressing you will trouble you no more.  I am believing that for you today, but you have to believe it for yourself.  God wants us to be walking in His joy and peace.  

Just in case the prophet Isaiah and I have not convinced you, take a stroll with me over to Luke 4:16-21.  On one of Jesus' visits to the synagogue, He read this very passage of scripture from Isaiah (chapter 61:1-2).  Wait, it gets better.  Once, He read it, He sat back down, and everyone was looking at Him.  Jesus then said, today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing (Luke 4:21).  

Jesus was saying that we do not have to live our lives oppressed, stressed, and depressed.  Jesus came to set you and I free!  The Resurrection of Christ demands release of the captives. His Spirit living in us makes all of the difference.  Launching faith [in our lives] receives the Lord's favor.  I'm choosing to be set free and walk in the Lord's favor this year!  How about you?  Let Him heal your soul!


To check out more from Shayla, visit www.ShaylaHilton.com.

Your Sister in Christ,













Prayer:  Heavenly Father, We are so thankful for Jesus!  Thank you for Your comfort and peace.  We appreciate you setting us free and allowing us to walk in your favor.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.   

Comments